DUNCAN HOUSE circa 1815
     In 1963, the Duncan House received the first plaque, noting 1790 as the building date. In 2003 the plaque was changed to 1728. Both dates represented early deeds for the lot, with no documentation of a premises. More research (by this author) found an 1853 court record, which documented James Davis as builder; tax records confirmed 1815 as the building date. In 1804, Nathan Adams deeded this lot to daughter Elizabeth, wife of James Davis, who built the eastern half of this Beaufort-style home in 1815.  
     In 1820, James sold the house to Capt. Benjamin Tucker Howland for $1000. In 1832, Capt. Howland sold the house and part of their business to daughter Elicia and son-in-law Thomas Duncan for only $600. Using ship masts as supporting pillars, Capt. Thomas Duncan (1806-1880) added a structure just west of the house; this was a ship chandlery that became known as "Duncan's Store." The two structures were later joined, with no door between the east and west sides until the 20th century; access between upstairs bedchambers was by way of the front porch. As late as 1900, a windmill and slave cabins were still located behind the house.