BUCKMAN HOUSE circa 1848
In 1852 David B. Wharton and Susan Davis Wharton purchased the property from Guy Buckman for $600. Susan, daughter of James and Elizabeth Adams Davis, had married David twelve years earlier. The original house was a very simply built two-story structure with six rooms, each measuring 16’ by 16’—three on the lower level and three on the upper level, all parallel to the street, with double front porches running the entire length of the house. Although this home has been referred to over the years as being a "hotel" during the Civil War, it may have been built as a single-family home when first constructed and shortly afterwards became a boarding house.