JOHN E. IRELAND HOUSE circa 1887
The lot on which this home is located was originally owned by William B. and Emily F. Duncan. John E. Ireland purchased the lot from the Duncans in 1887. Ireland, a mariner from Portsmouth, who married Nancy J. Simmons in October of 1858, most likely built this home in 1887. Records show John E. Ireland, age 32, living in Portsmouth in 1870 with his wife and 5 children. In 1880 the whole family was living in Beaufort, including Nancy’s father.
It is believed that John E. Ireland was lost at sea. Ireland’s children sold the house and lot to J.B. Jones in 1893. The house was most likely turned, moved a short distance and added to in 1904. It was sold in 1927 by J. B. Jones and David M. Jones to J.F. Duncan.